Dr. Ghoniem specializes in Female Urology, Pelvic Reconstructive Surgery, and Voiding Dysfunction. He currently serves as Professor and Vice-Chair at the UC Irvine Health School of Medicine Department of Urology and as the Chief of the Division of Female Urology and Voiding Dysfunction. He is also the Chief of Spinal Cord Urology for the VA Long Beach Healthcare System and Chief of UCI Urology at Long Beach Memorial Medical Center.
- Dr. Ghoniem is internationally regarded as an expert in his specialties
- He has served as thesis supervisor to nine fellows and trained 12 clinical fellows and more than 20 international fellows
- He has served as moderator or co-moderator on numerous local, regional, national, and international conferences
- He edited or co-edited four special journal issues and two textbooks and authored or co-authored 35 book chapters, 24 surgical videos, and 148 peer-reviewed scientific articles
- He chaired 11 annual symposia on urodynamics and incontinence at Tulane University and co-chaired the annual Cleveland Clinic Florida Symposia on Female Pelvic Disorders for ten years
Dr. Ghoniem has been integral in introducing and improving diagnostic and surgical techniques in his field, including vaginal pack test, male sling, bladder neck wrap, transobturator technique, suburethral sling, and more.
Dr. Ghoniem was born in Alexandria, Egypt, and left the country to pursue a fellowship in female urology and neurourology at Brown University in Rhode Island. He went on to complete a urology residency at the University of Michigan. In 1987, Dr. Ghoniem was appointed as Assistant Professor and Chief, Section of Urodynamics and Female Urology at Tulane University in the Department of Urology. Four years later, he was appointed Associate Professor of Urology with a joint appointment in the Department of Gynecology, and then promoted to Professor of Urology and Clinical Professor of Gynecology in 1998.
Dr. Ghoniem founded the section of Voiding Dysfunction, Female Urology, and Pelvic Reconstruction at Cleveland Clinic Florida, where he also served as Chairman of Medical Education.
Roles & Memberships:
Dr. Ghoniem is an active member of several societies including the American Urological Association (AUA), Southeastern Section of the American Urological Association (SSAUA), Society of Urodynamics and Female Urology (SUFU), International Continence Society (ICS), International Urogynecological Association (IUGA) and the American Urogynecologic Society (AUGS). Additionally, he was Chairman of the Research and Development Committee for IUGA, a member of the Education Committee for SUFU, and an elected member of the Scientific Committee for ICS.
Dr. Ghoniem serves on the Editorial Board and is a reviewer for numerous scientific journals. He has been appointed as an expert reviewer for the Journal of Urology, the American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, and Urology, Endourology, Neurourology and Urodynamics. Additionally, he has served as consultant for the surgical treatment group of the 1st International Consultation on Urinary Incontience and was a member of the same committee in the 2nd Consultation.
Medical School: Alexandria Medical School
Residency: Alexandria University Hospitals, University of Michigan Medical Center
Fellowship Training: Brown University, Rhode Island